Country Roads Western District. Code (FD09)
The Western district of Port Elizabeth is characterised by a temperate climate, a wide coastal plain bordered in the north by the Lady Slipper Mountain, a part of the Cape Fold Mountain system. To the south, the expanse of the Indian Ocean fringed by endless golden beaches. There are Nature reserves and productive farmlands growing a variety of crops from chicken and vegetables farms and well organised citrus orchards.....
- 8:00 am pick up at place of residence in Port Elizabeth. Orientation in the quaint seaside village of Schoenmakers Kop before continuing along the southern shoreline. Our first stop is a wild flower reserve, on the edge of the Van Stadens river gorge. We serve tea or coffee while enjoying the view towards the arch bridge that dominates this spectacular gorge. Here the vegetation is predominately Fynbos with some spectacular birds found in this area such as the Knysna Touraco and the endemic Sugarbird and the stunning Malachite Sunbird.
- Continuing through the pass before winding our way to the oldest settlement in the area Hankey, an early missionary station and home to the largest Sundial in Africa, a memorial and last resting place of Sarah Baartman a Khoikhoi woman used as an exhibit in the 18th centuary.
- Travelling through expansive farmland we come to the centre of Patensie where we stop for a tasty traditional lunch at the Tolbos road stall, packed with local preserves and produce. After lunch we continue to the Baviaanskloof (Valley of the Baboons) nature reserve and World Heritagesite where we take in the specacular scenery before heading towards the coast.
- Climbing out of the Gamtoos valley we head for Humansdorp, an agricultural centre on the coastal plain, where most of the inhabitants are desendents of the early Khoikhoi, the first nation, and earliest human beings. From Humansdorp we continue to Jeffreys Bay, a fishing village, seaside resort and above all, a world famous surf spot. We walk the beach, renowned for its seashells and watch surfers carving the waves if conditions are good. Factory clothing shops abound where bargains can be found.
- We return to Port Elizabeth, your accommodation and the end of the tour.
- Guided Tour
- Entrance/conservation fee
- Light lunch
- Bottled water
Rate per person: R 2500.00
Minimum two persons
Rate valid till 31.10.2019
Welcome to Africa
Back Top Enquire by Email